Thursday, January 20, 2011

Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snack Cake

It's Cake Slice Bakers time again and this month we baked a Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snack Cake which is just a really long title for a smores snack cake! I was a little worried because the reviews seemed to be mixed on this cake. I baked it late one night and iced it the following day. I wish I has added more marshmallow fluff to the frosting because it really lacked the flavor and tasted more like a buttercream. All in all the texture of the cake was a little different but tasted pretty good. I think I prefer this other recipe for Smore's though.


Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Snack Cake
from Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman


For the cake:

8 whole graham crackers, finely ground (about 1 cup)
1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
6 tbsp (3/4 stick) butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 egg yolk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips


For the frosting:

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temp
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup marshmallow fluff


Cake: Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan and dust it with flour, knocking out any extra. Combine the graham cracker crumbs, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.


Combine the butter and sugar in large mixing bowl and cream with an electronic mixer on medium-high speed for about 3 minutes, scrape down the sides of the bowl as necessary. With the mixer on low speed, add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and then beat until smooth.

With the mixer on low, add a third of the flour, then half of the milk, stirring until combined. Repeat with remaining flour and milk, ending with the flour. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Scrape the batter into a prepared pan and smooth the top with a rubber spatula. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in cake pan for about 10 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.


For the frosting:

Place the butter in a medium bowl and beat until creamy. With the mixer on low, add the sugar, scraping down the sides as needed. Stir in the vanilla and marshmallow fluff and beat until smooth. Use immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and keep in the fridge for up to 3 days.

Cut the cake into squares and serve with a dollop of frosting. Make sure to bring the frosting to room temp if storing in fridge.

To check out the other members go here.
Print This

20 comments:

  1. Oh yes - I clicked through on your link to your previous smores cakes and they look soooo much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, there's what to do with some of my leftover Graham's crackers. I'll need to get some more Fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the piped swirls on top :) Had a look at your reccomended smores recipe - oh yes!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds great - I'm a huge fan of any cake I can eat out of my hand. And I really love that swirl of frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your swirls of frosting.

    Going to have to try your smore recipe - once I can find some Graham crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anything that is similar to s'mores is a thumbs up in my book--yum! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I will have to give your s'more recipe a try. This one wasn't what I was hoping for. Your cake looks good, I like the swirl of icing on top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about this cake but I've already found a s'mores snack that I love. Guess I need to just try it!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake looks delicious and I love the swirls of frosting

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks really pretty in the pan with the piped frosting. me likey :-)

    I happened to have added more fluff and it didn't make a difference, still tasted like buttercream. Anabel of Oven Delights just used the fluff instead of the frosting. That might be good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wanted to stop over and say thanks for the good wishes and support on behalf of my sister and her family. The outpouring of blog love has been awesome.
    ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked the cake but did not care for the frosting. I love hearing how everyone else found making this cake.

    ReplyDelete
  13. One lovely blog and lods of goodies galore .
    Looking forward for more deliciousness galore.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Greetings from Southern California

    I added myself to follow your blog.
    I invite you to visit mine and become a follower if you want too.

    God bless you and have a nice day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a fun cake. You can never go wrong with more marshmallow fluff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks delicious. I love the recipes you feature here and I will be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  17. yum! great piping job, I am still working on that skill :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, great job with the piping, I'm horrible at that!

    ReplyDelete