Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake

After stumbling upon Dozen Flours blog I quickly learned we share the love for everything snickerdoodle! Her snickerdoodle bundt cake first caught my eye as something I could bring to work for everyone to try. So that night my boyfriend was at work and that just left me lots of time to experiment in the kitchen with no interruptions. It turned out beautiful and wow did it smell so good!

This is what the pan looked like before pouring in the batter. It made the yummiest crust!

I thought I had a picture before I put in the oven, but I guess not. I think I was just so excited for it to be done I forgot!

And here it is when it came out...
Flipped over and ready to eat!
Here is receipe from Dozen Flours
Snickerdoodle Bundt Cake
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup white sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
3 eggs, at room temperature
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup full-fat sour cream, at room temperature
In a small bowl, combine 1 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon. Mix together really well and set aside. Preheat oven to 325F.
Here's the exact way I made the crust: Using a spray product like Pam with Flour (I LOVE this stuff -- seriously its changed my life!), generously spray a 9 inch Bundt pan, being careful to cover all the nooks and cranies, as well as the center tube. (Note: If you don't want to use Pam with Flour, you can just grease the pan with shortening.) Gently dust the entire inside of the pan with the sugar and cinnamon mixture. You should only need about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of sugar, but you want to try and evenly coat the inside surface of the pan, including the tube. Save the remaining sugar and cinnamon mixture and set everything aside.
Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
Beat just the butter on medium speed for one full minute. Add the white sugar and mix for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl and blade and add the brown sugar.
Mix for 2 minutes until the mixture looks light brown and uniform in color. Add the eggs one at a time, beating each for 1 full minute. Stir in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture alternately with the sour cream; beat well. Spread half of the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with 1/4 to 1/3 of a cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture over top the cake.
Spread the rest of the batter into the pan and sprinkle any remaining sugar mixture over the top. (If you run out of cinnamon sugar, you can mix just 1/4 cup of sugar + 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together for the top of the cake. It should be more than enough.)
Bake in the preheated oven for 55 to 65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
This cake turned out great and everyone really enjoyed it. The only thing I may do differently next time is add more cinnamon sugar mixture in the midde of the batter. Maybe even trying to add another layer of the mixture and batter.
I couldnt wait to try a piece, so I just cut a tiny sliver.

My 2 friends at work, Kevin & Stacey sure are loving the new baking bug I caught. Thanks guys for always being my taste testers now that my boyfriend is "eating healthy"!! Print This

2 comments:

  1. I'm a fellow snickerdoodle lover as is my family! This cake was amazing! Like you I could NOT wait for it to cool before cutting into it!

    Yours looks great and baked up nice and tall!
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog - I've just been happily browsing around. I love your honesty - from how you begin to an extremely snazzy baking-to-order career in a matter of months! Fantastic.

    Being British, I have no idea what this snickerdoodle lark is, but I keep reading about them - I guess I'll just have to try making them? :)

    Rosie of BooksAndBakes

    ReplyDelete